Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Drift

I took off new years day and decided I'd do alittle cat fishing at our local lake again. And like always, if their biting, your bound to catch a few. I had a slow start as catching shad has proven difficult the past few weeks, and I just found out the place where we've been catching them is rumored to have golden algae, which kills all the fish. I usually keep several bags of frozen shad just in case for back-ups and always freeze what I don't use after going fishing, so theres almost always bait.

I get out to Arrowhead some time after one, and paddle out into the wind and throw out a few lines along with the drift sock. The area I start is where I have most faith, but no bites there. As I drift back towards were I put in, theres one more area, we've caught fish in and right at that moment, one of the rods starts doubling over and theres a fish on. I get it to the boat and its a nice keeper so I'm excited now, their biting. I re-bait all the hooks and paddle back up to where I start, the wind has changed directions alittle now, so it's blowing me out into deeper water. I start my drift this time with one getting hug up on the bottom and breaking off, so I rig that one back up as fast as I can and get it back into the water. This time when I get into the second good area, I'm on the deeper end of it, and one of the rods bends over and looks like it could rip the holder of the kayak if I didn't grab it soon enough. I get it in, and finally have one big enough to use the net on and it's huge. I didn't have a scale but I think it might be the biggest one I've ever caught. After that I made one more drift and the wind quit blowing, usually when that happens they shut off, so I fished awhile longer and had no luck so I called it a day.



After I got all these cleaned up, we had a nice little fish fry with hush puppies, french frys, onions, pickles and the always delicious cold beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment